nnimap-expunge-on-close?

Next question.  Here's an excerpt from my
gnus-secondary-select-methods:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      (list
       '(nnimap "inbox"
                (nnimap-address "inbox-a.utdallas.edu")
                (nnimap-expunge-on-close 'ask)
                (nnimap-list-pattern ("INBOX" "INBOX.*" "bb.*")))))

When I'm in the summary buffer, I can confirm that
nnimap-expunge-on-close is indeed set to 'ask.  However, after
marking for deletion some messages (with `B delete'), I'm not
prompted to expunge these messages when I leave the summary buffer
with `q'.  Is there something else I need to do?

Thanks.
Amos