Re: agent strangeness

Kai Großjohann <Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE> writes:

[snip]
> But once you get it to work and you fetch a few articles, you quickly
> see that the Agent works in principle.  So there's hope that all one
> needs to do is to fix the stars problem and the all messages are
> downloaded problem.

I only had the "*" problem once.  I was able to fix it by either
byte-compiling nnimap more carefully (the makefile doesn't work in a
bash under cygwin because for some reason eval on the commandline
doesn't work) or re-initialising the agent setup in the way you - I
think - posted:  no agentize, plugged, subscribe groups, exit,
agentize, start gnus plugged, download messages, quit.

I was using PGnus 0.90 and nnimap 0.126 with NTEmacs 20.3.10 before, and
last week switched (carefully :) to PGnus 0.95 and nnimap 0.128.

In the meanwhile though, not being an edebug freak or more familiar
with lisp than RO, I did find where gnus got the much older active
file from.  In the ~/News/agent/nnimap/<server>/agent.lib directory I
found a file called groups, which seems to be the result from direct
server browsing.  Renamed it, and presto, I get correct numbers.

Question remains if I'm the idiot not reading the instructions, or if
it shouldn't have looked at that information.

Conrad.