Re: cvs access

> "The machine cyrus.andrew.cmu.edu runs the Cyrus IMAP server and may
> be used for testing.
>
> To use the IMAP server, log in as the user "anonymous" with your
> e-mail address as the password. The anonymous user receives mail as
> "anonymous@cyrus.andrew.cmu.edu" and can create mailboxes with names
> starting with "INBOX."

> It looks for all the world like anyone is supposed to be able to login
> and try it out. Trying every login technique I could come up with
> failed.

Did you try using an IMAP client?  They are talking about testing
IMAP, after all...

> I tried emacs then /anonymous@cyrus.andrew.cmu.edu:  then tried both my
> email address and the one listed on the page... nada
>
> Also /ftp@cyrus.andrew.cmu.edu:
>
> Telnet, ssh ncftp all .. nada

Right.  It isn't a publicly available ftp, telnet or ssh server, it is
a publicly available IMAP server.

> What kind of "login" is expected here?

You should be able to give any IMAP client (including nnimap) the
hostname cyrus.andrew.cmu.edu as the server name and be able to access
the server.  A trivial example:

$ nc cyrus.andrew.cmu.edu 143
* OK mail1.andrew.cmu.edu Cyrus IMAP4 v1.6.18-034 server ready
. login anonymous foo@bar.baz
. OK Anonymous access granted

-Justin, wondering what exactly you were expecting...