gnus-large-newsgroup?

It's been interesting adapting my mail reading to life in Gnus.

First I would tick everything I didn't want to disappear right away.
Well, I ended up ticking so many articles it was getting pretty
silly.  Then I started setting up groups (folders) with the
display-all enabled.  Okay, this is a little more like what I'm used
to from years of reading mail.  Oh, this expire stuff is way cool.
Even better.

Though, I then kept hitting the prompt if I wanted more than the
default 200 articles.  So I bumped up gnus-large-newsgroup to 1000.
Opps, now I'm getting prompted again.  Not a biggie, but it
gets a little old after a while.

Something I've recently been pondering is something that I saw in a
Java IMAP client, of all things.  It had a setting to determine the
maximum number of headers to download.  If you wanted more, just
click on a button to download more headers.  This sure made folder
opening fast.

So, I'm wondering if there's a way to tell gnus a maximum number of
articles to download, then just do it when I select that group.
Then, if I want more headers, perhaps just do something like

C-u 10000 M-g

Is this (currently) possible?

Thanks,
Amos